Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Date Night

We went out this weekend, just the two of us. I stated at the beginning that a good idea would be if neither of us could bring up anything negative about the other. Nothing. Whether it related to the house, work, the kids, etc. He agreed that this was a good ground rule. (Took us back to when we had to say no baby talk when I was pregnant!)

What was interesting was that we had a pretty good time!

But more interesting was that I had to stop myself from saying a few (nagging) things to him! Here I am, always saying "Woe is me..." and I maybe don't realize how often I bring up things that seem like I'm annoyed with him. Hmmmm. Maybe, like some have commented, I need to look within myself for happiness instead of depending on his actions/words towards me.

I couldn't believe how many times I caught myself before I bugged him about: yardwork, what was going on at work, things that need to be done around the house, how bad I want a pool, etc.

Good idea that I had, I thought it was for me to not hear grief from him, that's why I said it, but it showed me a little about myself too.

For anyone interested, he did bring up a few negative things about me (accidentally?) and instead of engaging in an argument, I just said, that's negative, let's discuss it tomorrow or later. (They were small things, I guess, like--how come I didn't I plan our annual FL trip yet, am I going to weed the flower beds soon, etc.)

4 comments:

  1. Dear Mrs. D
    I stumbled across your blog and I have to say I could have written every word myself.
    I have lived your life.
    Melinda
    please feel free to email me

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you two had a good time! you deserve it 1000 times over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to read that you had a night out.. It brings back the old times..the good times..you are well worth the night out with peace and happiness........

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think of you often. This is encouraging.

    ReplyDelete