Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sometimes I Wonder

Ummm...

How can I say this? More and more lately I have been thinking what it would be like if I "chose" the blue collar guy over white collar Mr. D.

Now I know this isn't healthy. But I think back to before. When I was younger. And I wanted to find a mate that wanted (what I thought were) the same things in life that I did. Including me staying home with our children.

Because that's what I have. I married a man who is a very good financial provider, and I don't have to work. And I have the nice big diamond. And we are by no means upper class but we do well. And I know I should feel lucky.

But I wonder if in my quest to look for a life-long partner I overlooked some very important things. Like striving for a man who would ultimately respect and honor me, rather than one who would be in a career that provided such a paycheck that would allow me to give up my not-so-shabby income while berating me and making me feel hated.

I had this friend (Mr K.). I met him when I was 16 and he dated my best friend casually, and I dated one of his friends casually, and we all just hung around a lot. Then my best friend found a new guy, and I broke up with Mr K's friend. And we all still hung out a lot. Then I went off to college, and Mr K barely graduated high school and went into skilled trades. Totally different paths; totally different upbringings, etc. But we would always reconnect (on a friend level) and our friendship grew. And grew. And you know the story: we loved each other so much we decided to give the dating thing a try. And it just didn't work, and neither of us was sure why. But he wasn't the "type" to bring home to Mom & Dad, and he always felt he couldn't "give" me the "things" I wanted. (Shame on me, I know that now...) We talked about how we so loved each other though and decided not to continue dating for fear it would ruin our friendship.

Then I met Mr. D. and never really looked back. (Well, until now I guess.) At the beginning stages of mine and Mr. D's relationship, my friendship with Mr. K. was still quite strong and we still said I love you and the end of our phone calls. And as things got more serious with Mr. D, Mr. K began to wonder to me "Have I made a mistake? Did I miss my chance with you?" and on and on. I sure did think that was sweet, but I was comfortable with where my life was going, dating my college man.

Fast forward to now. Mr. K and I call each other once a year, he on my birthday, and I on his birthday. The conversations are short, friendly, and small talk.

I know if I married him I'd probably have to work. I would probably drive a used car, not get so many pedicures, not have a big diamond ring.

But....................................................................

I think I'd be loved. I think I'd feel loved. I think I'd be happy. I'm learning how I'd rather be poor and happy than comfortable and this.

I think it's terrible to have thoughts like this. I try to say it's just a version of "the grass is always greener".

Plus when I preview my post and read it, I realize I sound like one of those whiny snobs on some dumb reality show. But I'm not, really I'm not. I'm just a stay-at-home mom married to a man who's done well in his career. (Plus, a lot of what we have--say, the equity in our house, my car, etc--we got when I was working too, before we had kids and were doing the dual income thing.)

Ok. Wow. This post is all over the place.

Bottom line. I'd love to tell a bunch of twenty year old girls that money doesn't buy you happiness and the best riches in life are ones that can't be bought. And I can't help but wonder what my life would be if I went for the love and devotion rather than the wining & dining.

5 comments:

  1. This post sounds just like me - I am married (just had 2 year anniversary yesterday) but my husband is respectful and loving. I have a friend who I have known since we were little kids, and until recently, we talked nearly everyday. I will always wonder if I did the right thing by marrying my husband and not the other guy. I would have never had the children I have now, but do I really LOVE my husband like a wife should? Do I love my friend more than a friend should? (Sorry, i don't have anyone to talk to about this, and it all just somes out.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeck! You could drive yourself nuts with this kind of thing. I didn't meet my husband until I was in my late 20s and had already had the chance to date a number of different guys...good, bad, past friends, still friends. Though my 22-year old self would kill me for saying this, I'm so happy that I had the chance to experience so many different things and figure out what was really important before getting married.

    Even so, I think everybody has that one good friend that could have been. Thinking about it will only make you crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. White or Blue he would still be a man and therefore unable to meet all of your needs. There used to be one that I often wondered if my life would be better if I had "chosen" him.

    But after reading a few marriage books, I began to see that my life wouldn't have been better just different. So many of the problems we were having were so similar to the ones written about in these books. The one that really got me was the story of a woman complaining that her husband left her at the hospital immediately after her baby was born to go play baseball. Her baby was 19.

    After my eldest was born, my husband left to go watch his brother play baseball. I held onto that incident like a trump card ready to play the "he's such a bad husband card" anytime.

    My husband was a blue collar man when we married and our marriage barely survived his struggle to become a white collar man. Believing in Jesus and understanding that he is the only one who can truly love me the way I desire and that he loved me when I was so unloveable, gave me the strength I needed to love and support my husband on his journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the person who said a different choice would equal difference, no matter what. That goes for anything. Major in college, job, type of car, vacation spot. Once we make a choice we automatically have rejected 100 other possibilities.

    I think that since this is on your mind, maybe you should think about the facts as they are today. You are not happy (though you have said that strangers would assume you were). I wonder what things with the other guy may have made you unhappy, considering you wouldn't have your present circumstances to compare it to.

    I am not married. I never have been and don't feel like I have even had a real relationship, so maybe I have no business jumping in here. But I do jump. People compare circumstances all the time. For better or for worse, people want to know the what ifs. Believe me, I do it with past men that never really made it to the status of boyfriend. They went on to marry and have kids and some of them are not happy or even with their wife anymore. What if it had been me? What if I was the right one for him all along and he completely blew it. Mrs. D, what good does that thinking get me? I don't dwell because I am thankful that I am not with the wrong man, but when I hear of an old man friend's broken relationship, I kind of inwardly say "he should have chosen me". But maybe I would have been as out of place as the current spouse.

    Evaluate what you are able to do to grow closer to your husband. What can he do that would really show you effort on his part? Focus on your children and rather than watching for the things he doesn't do right, try to only pay attention when they happen.

    I know this may seem scattered and I apologize for that, but you are on my mind often.

    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I married a "Mr. K" and we have had our share of problems. Honestly, the "underage" of money brings just as many, if not more struggles as an overage of money does. I know you are not saying you have too much, but bare with me. We would fight about bills. We would fight about why who was spending what. We would fight about why there was never enough and both of us felt like we worked our share. We would just plain fight. At that point I was telling you about before, I decided that I needed to work on me. NOt because there was something so wrong with me, but more because I felt that if I was happy with myself, it would be easier to be happy with my life with him. Well, I can say things are better, even though our money is tighter than ever! But, during that time, my "Mr. K" changed some things about himself too. He has tried, in earnest, to be a better husband, although there are definitely times where he pushes my buttons TOO MUCH! He and I have tried to become the better versions of who we always were. It has strengthened our relationship. It is not a one way street, but that means it is NOT ALL YOU either. As for Mr. K, maybe he was best as a friend and that is why that is all he ever was?

    ReplyDelete